Stats are through the games of December 11th.
Perth Heat –
Perth hosted Brisbane, splitting their four-game set. The Heat dropped the opener 6-4 before sweeping Saturday's double-header, 3-2 and 4-3. Perth fell in the final contest 5-1. They remain in first place with a 12-6 overall record, one and a half games in front of Canberra.
- Adam Melker: Melker's bat heated up this week to the tune of five hits, including a triple, in 14 at bats, a .357 batting average. The Heat's new lead-off hitter drew three base-on-balls for a .471 on-base percentage. Melker touched home three times and scored Perth's only tally in Sunday's 5-1 loss. He struck out just once. Defensively, Melker played primarily in center this week.
Season-to-date: .239/.342/.328/.670, 67 AB, 14 R, 16 H, 1 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 6 RBI, 8 BB, 13 SO, 1 SB, 0 CS, .278 BABIP
Sydney Blue Sox –
Sydney won one and lost three against visiting Canberra this past week, which dropped them from second to third, three games behind Perth.
- Geoff Klein: Klein was the starting catcher in three games, batting seventh twice and seventh once. He had two singles and a double in 14 at bats with four strikeouts. That two-bagger was Klein's first extra-base hit as a Blue Sox. His best game was Friday when he went 2-for-4 with a double. Defensively, he was charged with three passed balls.
Season-to-date: .190/.227/.206/.434, 63 AB, 2 R, 12 H, 1 2B, 6 RBI, 3 BB, 15 SO, 0 SB, 0 CS, .250 BABIP
This week's notebook encompasses the league's All-Star break in which the Dominican All-Stars traveled to Venezuela to take on their counterparts from the Venezuelan League. The Dominicans prevailed 8-2 on Tuesday. No St. Louis prospects took part. Stats are through games of December 11th.
Aguilas Cibaenas –
Aguilas went 3-2 since the last report.
- Audry Perez: out with a right knee injury.
- Oscar Taveras: Taveras continued to swing a hot bat for the second straight week, going .409/.435/.636/1.071, 9-for-22 in five starts. Four of those starts came in right and one as designated hitter. Five of his nine hits were doubles. Taveras was issued one free pass, touched home four times and drove in two more. He whiffed five times and committed an error. Over his last 10 games, Taveras has gone 15-for-42, with eight doubles and four walks for a line of .357/.413/.548/.961.
Season-to-date: .319/.385/.500/.855, 144 AB, 26 R, 46 H, 12 2B, 1 3B, 4 HR, 16 RBI, 14 BB, 21 SO, 3 SB, 1 CS, 4 E, .350 BABIP
Gigantes del Cibao –
The Gigantes went 2-2 with one postponement.
- Ronny Gil: Gil saw his at bats decline for the third week in a row from a seasonal high nine for the week ending November 27th to one this week. On Thursday, he worked a free pass as a pinch hitter to begin the ninth. Gil advanced to third on a double but was stranded there as Cibao fell 4-2.
Season-to-date: .357/.400/.464/.844, 28 AB, 5 R, 10 H, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 2 BB, 4 SO, 3 SB, 1 CS, .391 BABIP, 2 E
Leones del Escogido –
Escogido won two and lost two this week.
- Keith Butler: Butler has not pitched since November 24th.
Season-to-date: 1.50 ERA/5.53 FIP, 6 G, 0 GS, 6 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 HR, 1 HB, 2 BB, 4 SO, 1.00 WHIP, .211 BAA, .214 BABIP
- Juan Castillo: Castillo did not appear this week but hopefully continues to see playing time in the Dominican Instructional League.
- Starlin Rodriguez: Rodriguez has not played since November 2nd.
Season-to-date: .250/.250/.250/.500, 4 AB, 1 H, 1 R, 1 RBI, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0 SB, 0 CS, .500 BABIP
Tigres del Licey –
Licey went 4-2 for the week.
- Maikel Cleto: Cleto has not pitched since November 26th.
Season-to-date: 1.13 ERA/3.83 FIP, 8 G, 0 GS, 8 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 1 ER, 0 HR, 0 HB, 5 BB, 5 SO, 1.13 WHIP, .129 BAA, .154 BABIP
- Victor Marte: Marte continues to get the call from the bullpen but with mixed results this week. On the 5th, he worked around a fielding error by his shortstop, Erick Aybar, to record the last two outs in the bottom of the eighth but served up a lead-off slam in the next frame for his first loss. The righty tossed a 1-2-3 ninth on Saturday with two ground outs and a fly out as Licey won 8-4. Marte's worst stint was on Sunday when he was the first of three Tigres hurlers to flip a 5-1 ninth-inning lead into a 9-5 loss. He did not retire a batter, loading the bases on a double, fielding error and bunt single back to him. Marte exited after issuing a base-on-balls that forced in a run. All of the runners charged to Marte eventually crossed with three of the four tallies being earned. His weekly stats: 21.56 ERA/11.58 FIP, 3 G, 0 GS, 1.2+ IP, 3 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 1 HR, 0 HB, 1 BB, 1 SO, 2.40 WHIP, .300 BAA, .250 BABIP
Season-to-date: 5.00 ERA/4.42 FIP, 9 G, 0 GS, 9 IP, 8 H, 9 R, 5 ER, 1 HR, 0 HB, 3 BB, 7 SO, 1.22 WHIP, .222 BAA, .250 BABIP
- Willy Paulino: There was no information out of the Dominican Instructional League this week.
Stats are through games of December 11th.
Caneros de Los Mochis –
The Caneros went 2-4 for the period.
- Jermaine Curtis: Curtis continued to hit this week, going .381/.500/.476/.976, 8-for-21, in six starts. The third baseman walked four times, doubled and struck out twice and was hit by a pitch. He stole two bases, scored five runs and knocked in another.
Season-to-date: .329/.404/.407/.811, 140 AB, 21 R, 46 H, 8 2B, 1 HR, 17 RBI, 17 BB, 17 SO, 5 SB, 2 CS, .369 BABIP, 3 E
Venados de Mazatlan –
Mazatlan broke its streak of seven straight notebooks with a losing record by going 4-2 this week.
- Nick Additon: Additon started on December 5th just prior to being placed on Mazatlan's Reserve/Inactive list on the 6th. With the regular season ending on the 30th, it is questionable whether he will see further action. On Wednesday, he matched his longest outing of the campaign, going 7 2/3 innings while fanning eight. His only hiccup came in the third when the opposition knocked in five, four via a grand slam, all of which were unearned. Additon yielded all three of his hits and one of the two free passes issued during that frame. He did not figure in the decision but did see his squad battle back to take the win.
For the season, the southpaw's 53 innings are second highest on the club, 2.1 innings behind 35-year-old right-hander Walter Silva, who pitched in the Mexican League in 2012, and tenth in the league. Additon is tied for third overall with 49 strikeouts, sixth in WHIP and ERA.
Season-to-date: 3.74 ERA/3.50 FIP, 10 G, 10 GS, 53 IP, 49 H, 30 R, 22 ER, 3 HR, 2 HB, 21 BB (2 IBB), 49 SO, 1.32 WHIP, .246 BAA, .309 BABIP, 2.33 K/BB
Catcher Yadier Molina is the newest (return) member of the Puerto Rico League. Molina is expected to join the Gigantes de Carolina on Saturday, December 15th. Stats are through games of December 11th.
Criollos de Caguas –
Caguas won two and lost two with one postponement.
- Luis Mateo: Mateo was the starting shortstop in all four games, batting either eighth or ninth. The 22-year-old went 2-for-10 with a triple, a base-on-balls, two runs scored and one RBI. He struck out three times.
Season-to-date: .310/.346/.423/.769, 71 AB, 10 R, 22 H, 6 2B, 1 3B, 8 RBI, 5 BB, 15 SO, 2 SB, 0 CS, .379 BABIP, 3 E
Gigantes de Carolina –
Carolina went 3-2 this week.
- Juan Caballero: Caballero has not made an appearance since November 15th. Season-to-date: 0.00 ERA/4.20 FIP, 1 G, 0 GS, 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 HR, 0 HB, 1 BB, 1 SO, 2.00 WHIP, .200 BAA, .250 BABIP
- Anthony Garcia: Garcia started four of the Gigantes' five contests, three in right and one in left. He pinch ran in the sixth inning of the first game of a double-header on December 6th and remained in the game to play right. Garcia had only two hits in 12 at bats, including a double, to go with two walks and an RBI. He struck out five times and was hit by a pitch. His line: .167/.333/.250/.583 with a .286 BABIP.
Season-to-date: .267/.371/.367/.738, 60 AB, 4 R, 16 H, 3 2B, 1 HR, 8 RBI, 8 BB, 16 SO, 1 SB, 1 CS, .349 BABIP
Indios de Mayaguez –
Mayaguez won one, lost two and had two postponed.
- Hector Hernandez: Hernandez' sole appearance for Mayaguez came in a start on the 6th where he took the loss, not getting out of the fifth inning. The lefty gave up four runs, two earned, on eight hits in 4.1. He had six ground outs, six fly outs and did not strike out a batter.
Season-to-date: 4.20 ERA/4.93 FIP, 7 G, 2 GS, 15 IP, 16 H, 9 R, 7 ER, 2 HR, 0 HB, 4 BB, 6 SO, 1.33 WHIP, .302 BAA, .298 BABIP
Cangrejeros de Santurce –
Santurce went 2-2 this week.
- Javier Machuca: Machuca has not made an appearance.
- Jonathan Rodriguez: Rodriguez was the starting right fielder on the 7th and had a very good day at the plate. He hit a two-run bomb in three at bats, walked twice and scored two tallies as Santurce pounded Ponce 11-4. Rodriguez knocked in a total of three runners with a strikeout.
Season-to-date: .167/.412/.417/.828, 12 AB, 4 R, 2 H, 1 HR, 5 BB, 5 SO, 0 SB, 0 CS, .167 BABIP
Coming soon: Part two of this report will cover Cardinals prospects' results the past week in the Venezuelan and Venezuelan Parallel Leagues.
© 2012 The Cardinal Nation, thecardinalnation.com and stlcardinals.scout.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.